Monday, July 21, 2008

Which way did the bicycle go?

My first triathlon of the season is this Sunday. It's a shorty: 300m swim, 10mi bike, and 2mi run. I am hoping to really sprint it... actually run the whole 2 miles.

A friend was originally going to be here to see me thru to the finish line, but it looks like that won't work out. I am trying not to be a crybaby about not having a cheering section again. The race isn't about the cheering, right? Ugh.

Working out this summer has been really good to me but also a bit harder than I feel like it should be. Next year, my plan is to skip tri and just focus on running and yoga. 'Cause, really, it's just the bike that's killing me.

I don't like biking that much. I feel like I should. Biking is fun! Don't lots of people bike as recreation?... I just can't get comfortable. The bike should be as familiar to me as a lover, and as trustworthy; an extension of my will to get from one place to another. Instead, it is this hard, pointy, heavy, scrapey, needy piece of equipment that must be lugged around (take the tire off, put it on top of the car, now take it down, put the tire back on, rinse and repeat), attended to, and accommodated. In exchange for all my care and attention, I get tire grease stains all over everything, sweaty helmet hair, and a sore ass. What a shitty boyfriend my bike is!

But let me sing the praises of running! And swimming (though it does require getting into a bathing suit, which is its main drawback) is TEH BOMB in the Texas heat. These I will keep for the rest of the year and next. The bike is probably going to get shelved for a bit.

And in case there was any doubt as to the power of triathlon training... Here is the preview from my latest 666 photography shoot:

Hawaiian pin up preview

Now, if only I always looked like that fresh from the pool...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A friend was originally going to be here to see me thru to the finish line, but it looks like that won't work out