Thursday, September 30, 2004

That time of year again...

StB™, all rights reserved
Many folks seem to be heading to Rhinebeck in a couple of weeks, and there will be many opportunities for knitbloggers to meet and greet.

That's right. It's time to prepare for Spot the Blogger™.

Some folks will wear cool hats, some will be wearing the Fastest Aran Ever Knit (though we suspect that—as much as we at small hands would absolutely love to meet her—it may not be safe to approach this blogger, as the sleep deprivation, inavoidable pattern errors (and resulting frogging and reknitting), and final exultation that comes from winning against all odds, will all have made her slightly unstable). And some folks will have Blogger Bags™.

Join in! You know you need a big ole bag for all of the Rhinebeck loot. You know this is your only chance to break the yarn fast you're on since you bought way too much yarn this summer even though it was summer and there shouldn't have been very much cool fiber out there, so when it came up you had to snatch it 'cause it was like a little summer miracle each and every damn time. Or maybe that's just me.

But we'll all be getting loot! So make a bag to carry it in, AND represent your little corner of cyberspace.

For details on two different ways to make a bag, you can check out my archives here. (Don't bother looking for that Salt Peanuts page. I am a bad knitalong hostess. I will try to do better next time.) And Ann's archives here.

I will say that if you try to do the iron-on transfer, you absolutely must wash the bag first. There is sizing on it when you buy it that somehow repels the transfer.

If you make a bag (or even if you don't but you will be wearing a miracle sweater or a funny hat) please give a shout out in the comments.

On Poetry
It was brought to my attention the other day that my poem did not meet the requirements of a Haiku, since I wrote it with 7-5-7 syllables instead of 5-7-5. However, after a little research, I found this great link that dispells the 17 syllable misconception around the art of Haikus. Seems that even Ezra Pound wrote a 19 syllable haiku, and many consider it pretty good.

Now, I wish I was so punk rock and well-read to have written my poem as I did on purpose, but I really thought it was supposed to be 5-7-5, I just transposed the numbers in my head. But now, I feel good about it's Haiku-ity. So go crazy, one line or four, 11 syllables or 17, just stick to the essence of the thing. That is, be brief and celebrate nature and the human heart.

Dreaming of wool in
New York. While the clouds whisper:
"Pack your umbrella."

And I leave you with this beautiful vision of harvest:


Here is a larger version if you want it for wallpaper, like me.

Disclaimer: I am sure this image is copyrighted, but it was emailed to me, so I cannot give credit where it is due. I certainly hope that the artist, wherever he or she may be, does not feel that I am using it in a way that is unacceptable.

No comments: