Sunday, September 05, 2004

Dear Secret Pal

First, SP2, please do not let the following post lead you to believe I have forgotten you. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have a lovely set of socks planned for that scrumptious blue yarn and I think I will make the ruffly hat from the Gifts book for a friend's little girl. :) I hope you are well, and are able to enjoy a bit of time off this Labor Day.

Now, the rest of this post is as per request of my SP3. Thanks for the intro email, SP3! Although I was a little freaked out at the "from" line on the friend's email you borrowed, and thought maybe I was being spammed or stalked by "Aaron" from UNCW.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high-end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
It is not all the same, but I do have a soft spot for Lion Brand. (And for Colinette, so go figure.) I like the affordability of LB stuff, and you cant't beat it for ease of care. Mostly I just like fiber. All kinds, all the time. I got it piled to the rafters in all shapes and sizes. My current favorites: drapey chenille, this great cashmerino knock-off I found at A.C. Moore, alpaca anything, and worsted wt. sock yarns. (I like socks, but am not yet ready for toothpicks so I stay at or above a size 3 needle.)
2. Do you spin? Crochet? I learned to crochet when I was around 8 or 9. I just got the Interweave press "special" crochet edition and there are a couple of things in there I want to make (but NOT that crazy Big Wool "cardigan," ugh). I don't spin yet, give me three more years.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.) I quit smoking exactly 592 days, 13 hours, 6 minutes and 50 seconds ago, so my house is finally "unsmokey," and I plan to keep it that way! Otherwise, no allergies.
4. How long have you been knitting? about 5 years
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I sure do, right over on the left side bar. Aside from books, I also have on my list: a nice windchime for my patio, a cool something to hold my wooden hooks and needles (like a vase-type thing, not a roll-type thing--I like to see them out), some kind of sachets for my new dresser (it smells kind of shellac-y) and I love cool stationery and stickers (especially japanese and "antique" look).
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Oooh, I like lots. How about Sandalwood (not patchouli), Lavender (not thyme), Tangerine and Grapefruit (not lime), Mints, Spices... I love essential oils! I just bought some L'Occitane lavender bath fizzies and shea butter to pamper me on this two-day business trip.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Yep. I Love Chocolate, but I really need to cut out a lot of the sugar in my day. Please (much as it pains me): no candy.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I used to be really into small scale woodworking, but I need a garage for even small piles of sawdust. I have embroidery and calligraphy "stuff" but haven't taken a break from knitting long enough to practice either.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if you want to make her a CD) I love working out to world dance and trip hop (on my mp3 player). I also like folk, acoustic-alternative, emo-alt, anything that moves me, really ... favorites include: Jim White, Kristen Hersh, Cyndi Lauper, Bob Dylan, Jane's Addiction, Tom Waits, Nick Cave....
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? ...blues and greys and deep reds and sagey greens. I like the golds and fires of fall, the crisp pales and stark constrasts of winter, and the soft greens and blues of spring. I do not like pink, salmon, coral, or teals much.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I am currently in a LTR with my sweet baboo, who knows he will not get a sweater 'til he marries me ('cause I am superstitious). This has not encouraged him to propose, and I am trying not to let it affect how I feel about my knitting skills. We have no pets, but we do pet the cat that hangs out on the landing in our apartment building sometimes. We have one bamboo plant that might be named Norman.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know) Ah, who knows?! I used to think I wanted to be an artist, then a healer, then a writer, and lately a teacher. I guess I am still searching.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? Most recently: Schaefer Esperanza, Classic Elite Premiere, Plymouth Encore (socks in, like, no time! and machine washable!)...
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I do not like chenilles, because I don't know how to avoid worms (but I LOVE the feel of Isis). I also don't like tiny cotton much (except for crochet). I haven't learned to love scratchy wools.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? It's all about accessories, baby! Scarves, wraps, hats, mittens... maybe a sock or a glove if I am feeling adventerous. After two disappointing larger projects in a row, I am keeping the investment low and the pay off big. I have some sweaters in the queue when I get my confidence back, one in Jiffy and one in Peace Fleece.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? See above. I really like scarves and wraps because I can get all crazy about a pattern or use a new or expensive yarn in a small amount to big affect. I am not into "furry" scarves, and have only tried one "cast on two stitches on size 1000 needles and knit til the end of your skein" scarf. I like a little more complexity. I just bought a bunch of Morehouse Merino's mittens patterns (I *can't wait* to make a pair of the grizzly bear ones with felt claws!)
17. What are you knitting right now? Esperanza hood/scarf loop thing from the Little Box of Scarves, merino/mohair "lace" scarf from Heartstrings FiberArts, and a little boy sweater out of GGH Goa from VKotG Kids Knits.
18. What do you think about ponchos? (this is really a curiousity question for us) I really want to make lots of them, but I am too hung up on smaller projects right now. I want a warm bulky wooly one, and an airy pretty one, and a versatile classic one (if such a thing can be said to exist).
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Each has a place. I don't like mixing them in a project as I have learned that my gauge is wildly different on each. I love wooden straight needles, and addi turbo or natura circs.
20. How did you learn to knit? A friend helped me figure out the instructions in a "How to Knit" pamphlet.
21. How old is your oldest UFO? I have two, a long scarf and a hexagon crochet afghan. Both are only about 8 months old, but that is already driving me nuts.

No comments: