Monday, August 09, 2004

(tell me why) I don't like Mondays...

This will be another week filled with Business Process meetings. {{sigh}} I will likely not post much, if at all. And will, in fact, be lucky if I am able to drag myself all the way into bed each night rather than sleep wherever I drop on the floor. Maybe I exaggerate a bit. But it is exhausting stuff, these all-day meetings.

Saturday involved more adventures in Downtown DC. Including a visit to Eastern Market, and the lovely Stitch DC (a website is listed for them, but seems to be down). I took a few pictures, but completely spaced putting them on the server before I raced out the door. Doh!

And on Sunday, I watched The Station Agent. Great movie! Thanks again, Ann! It had a wonderfully light-handed sense of humor, and remarkable characters. It is well worth checking out.

At Stitch DC: I oohed and aahed over all of the big beautiful bundles of Manos, unabashedly fondled the Noro Daria and Gedifra Byzanz, picked up then put down then picked up and put back down some dreamy Blue Sky Alpaca & Silk... And finally settled on two skeins of Elsabeth Lavold's Silky Wool in a lovely sage green. It is already on its way to being an Opera Scarf. I completely and totally forgot I even owned a camera in the face of all that fibery goodness. It is a small shop, and their quantity of yarns is not yet staggering, but they have quite a bit of room to grow and a fabulous little outdoor knitting area. If I had been with a fellow knitter, the rest of the morning would have been spent right at that little bistro table.

At Eastern Market: In and around the South Hall, I ate a squillion peach and nectarine samples and came home with some of each (and also some super tasty blackberries and raspberries). There were very dear crocheted lacey tanks and shawls at several of the booths, and one vendor on the flea market side had some cute needle felted bags. I was too shy to take pictures of these, which in retrospect seems silly, but at the time seemed respectful. Next time I will try to remember to think of posterity and manners be damned!

On Capitol Hill: I did take a few pictures here. Because of the Code Orange status, there were police in cruisers, with dogs, check-pointing all cars driving by... all over. Very surreal, to be sure. There was quite a bit of construction going on around the Capitol building itself, and I swear, it looks exactly like they are digging a moat around it.

The walk was nowhere near as strenuous or as hot as last weekend. An incredible cool front blew through and the highs were just under eighty. How awesome is that? I mean, I wanted to hike like crazy. I wanted to pack up and go camping, or climb a mountain, or go horseback riding... Ah, but sometimes living so near the city (and stubbornly refusing to get over the terror of driving) has its own inconveniences.

On Knitting: Well, the boredom won out. Not only did I work a couple of inches with the Silky Wool, but I got much of Grandma's shawl/wrap done. I will snap that one for tomorrow, too. I will recommit to the Eyelet Cardi soon, I am certain of it.

In the meantime, if you are reading, please tell me your favorite thing to do to unwind from a stressful day (at the office or otherwise).

No comments: