Monday, August 18, 2008

Not-so-manic Monday

I woke up before the alarm went off today. That is the second time that's happened since last Wednesday. It's the strangest thing. I couldn't drag my sorry ass out of bed for nothing before this happened.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't pop up and start being productive or anything. I lay there for a minute, and tried to decide if I wanted to go back to sleep (I didn't) then I wandered into the craft/office room to the computer. There was still some signing up to do related to the roster of classes I am taking in the next couple of months... And some chatting I was hoping to get in with a friend of mine who is far away.

Somehow I managed to make a healthy breakfast, get some yapping done AND make it to yoga class by noon. Before anyone says anything, I am practicing compassion regarding my time management. (I mean, come ON. NOON?)

Today's question, therefore, is: How long do I get to say that I am still recovering? I have heard "a couple weeks" from several folks. I have applied for unemployment (thanks, Lara) but am nowhere nearer to deciding what I want to do with the next third of my life. It is harder than I would have thought to "do nothing" even though there is a certain guilty pleasure about it.

The community college that I will be (re)attending in a couple of weeks offers a teacher certification program. I noticed it when I was flipping through pages looking for inspiration. Then tonight at running, Theresa (a teacher) said, "They need math and science teachers". And then proceeded to explain how EASY and FAST it would be. Now, I hate math... but science! I am a total science groupie! Especially geology, astronomy, and botany. Exploding stuff in test tubes? Wicked! There are even science experiments that one can do with yarn!

Well then, science teacher? This intrigues me a little. I know teachers are paid next to nothing and are criminally underappreciated, so I am not sure I could take the abuse. But maybe. Anyway, it's on the list. The program starts in January, so I can muddle over it for a bit more. Anyone have thoughts on teaching, science, or hating math?

Also knitting is progressing, but it is progressing with puzzling SLOWNESS. I sort of feel like I should be half way through the stash with all this free time... I have to remind myself that I have a lot of shit going on, even without work busting up the better part of the day.

Thank you so much to everyone who has been reading and has offered me words of wisdom, support, and kindness. I get the comments via email om my phone; please know that you all have been lifting my spirit all day every day.

Oof. This whole post was totally just a stream-of-consciousness ramble... I am hoping that the writing will get more coherent when my brain feels less disorderly.

No comments: