Wednesday, January 30, 2008

lately

Trying to keep busy. I really want to hibernate for awhile, but I don't trust my judgement right now (how could it possibly have my best interests at heart, considering the last six months or so?)... so I often don't know how to separate what I want to do from what I should do.

The knitting has not stopped, but slowed to a weird rhythm. Like how the days take longer to get to 4o'clock, and then it's 11:30 at night in an instant. What principle is at work there? I wish I could reverse it and make the work day fly by so I could better enjoy my evenings.

Here is the work sock... slow as molasses, but finally well-heeled.

by the time the call was finally over

I am also working on the Tropical T and have resurrected the Blizzard Shawl. It seems that the latter would be comforting about now and the former will soon be useful again (damn the short winters here).

Before winter flees entirely, I have been practicing my firebuilding skills.

new fireplace set up

I really love a good fire. How did I forget about that? I am such a chameleon, changing to my environment so easily... I lose track of what I like sometimes.

Also, I have been buying stuff. Lots of things... I recommend them all, highly.

Sometimes the only thing that helps is a new pair of hot shoes
Black Patent Pumps


Fantastic "cry in your beer" album... solid alt-country-esque. If you like Whiskeytown, Drive by Truckers, Lucinda Williams, or (even) Drivin' and Cryin', you'll like this. The songs are heartbreaking and raw in a really accessible way.


See above. Standouts (for you fellow iTunesers) are Diamond State Heartbreak and A Heart So True. They are both on endless repeat in my mind these days.


Enough with the heartbreaky bullshit, you say? How about some ass-shakin latin FUNKIN' GROOVY madness? Brownout will hook you up. Check them out on myspace.


Have you seen these guys yet? Go to Youtube RIGHT NOW. Hilarious, just freakin hilarious...


I bought this movie on a total random impulse. Hadn't heard about it at all, but it was next to and stars one of the Conchords. After watching it, I am glad for following my impulse. If you liked the "prickly" nature of the love story in Buffalo 66, but didn't care for the stark non-funniness of the film--get this movie. The two stars are painfully awkward--and in many ways it is a slightly less comic version of Napoleon Dynamite (except w/ adults and set in New Zealand). I say thumbs up.


I had this book already, but am re-reading it. It is fantastic, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It is helping me feel slightly better (depending on the day), and that's pretty damn good.

More reviews later after I watch the other movies, listen to the other CDs, and read the rest of the books...

No comments: